We are looking for a team-orientated individual who is passionate about seniors and great food to work in our culinary services department. Excellent customer service, attention to detail, dedication and dependability are essential for this position.
Why United Zion?
United Zion has been serving the community for over 117 years. We provide quality care to seniors in a loving and caring community. We are a small community with big perks. This is a place where teamwork is valued and you will get to know residents and team members by name. Plus, we offer fully covered employee health insurance premiums; health insurance for family; vision and dental benefits; employer HSA contributions, vacation bonuses in addition to PTO; matching retirement plans; and access to Rock Medical (a primary and wellness health care service). Check out our website for all the other great benefits we offer. Each day you’ll make a difference in so many lives. Plus, unlike many culinary jobs, working in senior living means no more late nights and only every other weekend.
- Dayshift: 5am-1pm; Nightshift: 11am-7pm
- Every other weekend and holiday required
- Prepare and produce food as directed in all United Zion’s standard recipes as outlined in each menu cycle in sufficient quantity to cover the delivery of each resident meal in each resident dining setting.
- Provide specific direction in food preparation to members of the Culinary Services team assigned to assist in food production.
- Provide teaching and feedback to continually increase the quality of food served to the residents of United Zion.
- Organize and execute food production in a timely manner that ensures the delivery of meals as outlined in United Zion’s established meal times and standards of care.
- Adapt meals to maintain quality while meeting the physician ordered needs of special diets consistently.
- Provide problem solving to maintain the quality of meals delivered at times of disruption, a shortfall of prepared food, a lack of needed inventory for meal production, and/or when equipment failures or utility service occurs.
- Assist the Culinary Services Director and Culinary Services Supervisors in the development of the menu cycles.
- Manage food inventory and production in such a manner to avoid waste of food products.
- Store and date perishable items in a manner to avoid waste of food products.
- Execute daily responsibilities in a manner that is safe and sanitary for one’s self, co-workers, and ultimately the residents of United Zion.
- Maintain a neat and clean appearance (including professional food service personal hygiene standards.) that follows the established dress code policies for the department.
- Maintain a sanitary work environment that clearly manages potential for food borne illnesses and cross-contamination including maintaining documentation for equipment and food temperatures.
- Maintain a safe working environment free from hazards such as slippery floors, managed risks for cuts and burns, and other food preparation related injuries.
- Excellent resident centered customer service skills.
- Demonstrate safe/sanitary working habits that fully comply with standards of care, policies, and procedures including infection control and food safety.
- Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Experience: the following experience is preferred.
- 2 – 3 years’ experience in institutional food production
- 2 years’ experience in institutional cooking
- 1 year of experience in supervising people
- Able to speak, read, and write the English language.
- Ability to work under time limits, adapt to change, be mentally alert and accurate in measurement.
- Understand and assist in the delivery of special diets ordered by the physician.
- Demonstrated knowledge of safe food handling, sanitation standards, Serve-Safe standards, HAACP standards, and infection control.